"ONE STEP BEYOND" READING RESPONSE BLOG

7TH GRADE, MCSCHOOL

As we read Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, we learn more about the Holocaust and World War II, and their effects on people during that time.

We look back on the Holocaust as a time of disgrace for mankind. How could people let this happen? How could one human being be so... inhumane... to another? How could so many people join in this genocide, this mass destruction of a group of people just because of their religion?

This period of time that happened roughly 70 years ago seems so savage, so brutal, that we can’t wrap our “modern” minds around it. However, did you know that even in “modern” times, there are still crimes of hatred like this going on?

This blog is designed for you, 7th grade students, to share your ideas about what hatred can do to the human spirit, as we see it through Anne Frank's eyes and in the other literary works we study.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Everyone Makes Mistakes


In the pages we just read, p. 224-228, we get to see Anne's "human" side... she makes a big mistake! Anne claims she is "a separate individual and doesn't feel the least bit responsible" (224) to her family, at age 14! We saw her father's response and Anne's realization that she'd committed a terrible error.

If you look at this photo of the Frank family, check the body language... notice how we can see the difference in Anne's realtionship with her father and mother, just by how she is standing!

What is your opinion of Anne's point of view towards her family? Now that you are older and more responsible, do you sometimes wish to be "a separate individual" like Anne does? Have you ever made a mistake like this with your parents?

9 comments:

  1. I am posting Astrid's comment here:

    Anonymous said...

    i want to comment today because what we discuss today was very impressive. i like a 14 years old girl says that she could live without her parent that to have it and dont it will be the same, and when she need them they ere not going to be there because it could be late. and i said i she dont have those parents you wouldnt be hid and she will be death.

    Astrid Brea
    May 13, 2010 5:32 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly? I don't know, it's really hard for me to think of this, i have no experience on this. Either way, I really don't think what Anne did was that bad, she expressed the way she feels throughout the writing, and, because of the circunstances and because of what she is going through (adolesence during the holocaust!), she feels stressed out. And I also think that her parents over reacted, i mean come on! she didn't curse or whatever, she just expressed herself, and, even though she was kind of a rebel, that is no reason for someone to be mad at her. But then again, remember my last comment? 1944 was 56 years ago, it was another time, and if you did this (especially if you're jewish, read the bible...) it was somehow a sin. Why can't I think of something else to say? 'Cause if I did something like that, my parents wouldn't get offended, they would try to improve. Thanks y'all.

    Yours, Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think that Anne is ABSOLUTLEY WRONG! I MEAN, It's ok to have some independence but, to NOT depend on your parents!! That's just sick! She thinks that only because she's been critizied alot doesn't mean that she can do whatever she wants! No, I have NEVER done that to my nparents! If I do that then x.x! Because without her parents, I bet she wouln't ba ALIVE in those times! She would be starved to death!

    ~Maria De L.~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think i really understand her because sometimes i feel the same way about my parents. i prefer to have my mom to tell her about my problems but i prefer my dad to hang out. also in the book she says she doesn't feel like she is a responsibility for her family at all but we also have to imagine us in her shoes... she is a 14 year old girl who lives with her "boyfriend", they are being persued, she doesn't get well with her mom and they live in terror. we have to try to understand that she is not lving a normal period of time. she is living trough the holocaust. i think is normal for her to have some, ah... "mental issues".

    -Gabriela Susana

    ReplyDelete
  5. well anne is not completly rite, but yes a little bit, because parents can't be overprotector,that's wrong..but nither too free because then the kid gets carxyy:p

    -maodelgado

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw the picture the first thing I saw was that she just holded her father, and her mother seemed "left out". I completely agree with Mao:D.. Honestly sometimes I think that in certain moments I don't need, or I wish my parents weren't there, and I think almost everyone over 11 years more or less has thinked of that at least once. And that is something normal. Anne may be a right she doesn't COMPLETELY need them, but she exaggerated by saying that not at all.
    -CharylAdams

    ReplyDelete
  7. as if. especially us who can talk here just because of our parents. so if were this gifted why reject our parents' love. wasn't she alive bacause of her parents in many ways? wasn't she born because of em? was she not in the secret annex because of her parents?etc

    L8er Este Polanco

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely have to say that Anne mature a lot in the Secret annexe.Since the beginning of her diary she showed a ''stronger'' relationship with her father. Thanks God she at the end made up her relationship with her mother.
    I think she is totally wrong when she say that she is not responsible for anyone just for herself. In the contrary I think she has to thank and at least show some love and respect to those people (her parents) who have gave her everything in life. Those people who gave her the last years of her life.
    Alba'Reynoso

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think she did wrong because she is neglecting her parents love, but when she needs them they are not going to feel the same love as before.

    Camille Luna

    ReplyDelete